Wednesday, November 4, 2015


Smoking Marijuana In Public
Since my last blog post #2 I have been thinking about how if any of these people’s opinions are actually having an effect on legislation of public smoking in Denver. I’ve also been thinking if whether this could be a good or a bad thing for our community to have because no one is going to be polite about smoking marijuana. In my third source from “The Denver Post” it describes about how a man lit up a joint at a Rockies game. In retro spec I feel as if it was a bad idea from the start because of it being a major public place where families come to enjoy themselves. A lot of activist are trying to push the idea of public marijuana smoking but could acts like these potentially ruin that chance?
Further in the article they state that they know a vast majority of pot smokers will follow the law when it comes to smoking. However, I can’t help but to disagree with that idea. In my previous sources it’s brought to the attention that a lot of people feel as if they have to break the law just to smoke marijuana, especially when it comes to tourists. I can understand how a game would be an inappropriate place for pot smoking. On the other hand these acts should raise their attention to think about alternatives for smoking marijuana in public rather than ruining their chances.

2 comments:

  1. What happened to the man at the Rockies game? I feel like smoking pot in such places (sports venues, concerts, etc.) has been going on for a long time. I have never been to a concert and not smelled marijuana. But I wonder if the new laws actually mean MORE scrutiny of such usage?

    I agree with you that a baseball game might be a bad place for smoking marijuana—mostly because it exposes others, including children, to the smoke. But, I can also see how it would be difficult to find a place to indulge in marijuana outside the home. If I were a tourist, I would have no idea where to try smoking pot in this state. In that sense, specific bars for marijuana make sense. Maybe such places would even encourage people like the baseball fan to do their smoking in one (legal) place and not out in large crowds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that an attorney who knows what the laws are regarding marijuana would try to smoke it in a public place. It sounds almost as if he was protesting in a way.

    You said that devious acts such as these might ruin marijuana activists chances of getting public marijuana smoking legalized. I agree with you on that, but I also think lawmakers will look at the issue more objectively rather than making a decision based on how many people currently break the law.

    I agree that a baseball game is not a very appropriate place to smoke marijuana. Should Colorado lawmakers treat marijuana smoking like tobacco smoking, in terms of how to legalize it? Maybe researchers should do a direct comparison the effects of marijuana and tobacco?

    ReplyDelete